Superintendent Neubauer retiring after 4 decades

John Neubauer has been with TISD for 46 years, starting his career in education in 1967 when the Cherry Street campus was an intermediate school as he taught sixth, seventh, and eighth graders. On Monday, Jan. 14, he turned in his letter of resignation from his position as superintendent.
“The people of this great community have allowed me to serve all of these years,” Neubauer said. “I am a lucky man”.
Neubauer has been superintendent for 16 years. Before that, he was a teacher, a coach, assistant principal and principal at Tomball High School. When asked if he viewed himself as an educator or administrator, the answer was simple: Educator.
“I know that if I go to ask him a question about something, or ask for his help on something, I know there may have been a time where he’s been faced with the same decision,” Principal Greg Quinn said.
Last year, a new district headquarters – one that included some of the building in which he first taught on Cherry Street – opened bearing the name of the tenured administrator – the John P. Neubauer Administration Building.
“To still be working there, and work in a building that’s named for you, that’s different, that’s very unique,” Quinn said. “But Neubauer is very unique”.
In his nearly five decades with Tomball, Neubauer admits that he is most proud of the accomplishments of the students.
“Watching them achieve their goals makes my heart swell with pride” he said.
English teacher David Youngblood believes Neubauer really cares about the students.
“He has always been pro-student and pro-kid,” he said. “I truly believe that when he makes decisions he looks at what the impact on kids would be”.
This will be Neubauer’s last year, and with this knowledge comes uncertainty.
“I really like what the school stands for now, and I’m scared that someone with different values would take his place,” English teacher Maggie Harden admitted. “He did a great job.”
Student Council sponsor Billie Ann Dio is grateful for Neubauer’s presence in the district.
“He is such a great pillar and leader of the Tomball community,” she said. “We were very fortunate to have him here to lead the school district”.
He is looking forward to spending time with his family on his East Texas farm where he will finally have time to do “gardening, cooking, woodworking, and raising cattle and honey bees.”
“He used to joke about always having retirement plans but never having plans to retire” Quinn said, who believes Neubauer truly “loved what he did.”
The Board of Trustees will select a new superintendent at an unknown date. Candidates are sure to include some on the current administrative team. In the meantime, Neubauer will carry out his position until the end of June.
“I have been blessed to know many wonderful people in this district,” he said, “but it is time to take a different path in my life.”