Be punctual or be punished

Brrrring! The tardy bell. Late again. You run down the hallway as you think up excuses to tell your teacher. As you enter your classroom, your teacher gives you “the look” and you wonder to yourself, “What happens now?”

Too often, a student’s introduction to the school’s tardy policy comes after the first visit to the assistant principal.

If only there was a book somewhere, a guide to all of the school’s rules and regulations. Maybe something like… the student handbook?

Most students tend to toss the handbook in the trash or bury it in their backpacks, but this book can be invaluable to helping navigate this system and avoid spending a beautiful Saturday in D-Hall.

“Honestly, I normally just rip out the back page and get the signatures. Where the book goes from there, I could care less,” junior Brian Kleb said.

Too many students fall victim to the consequences of the tardy policy. In many cases, students do not realize that three tardies in one class could result in an after-school detention.

An even more common misconception is the assumption that after you serve your detention then you are allowed three more tardies until you are issued another d-hall. In reality any tardies that come after your first three will result in more detentions and, if continued, will result in Saturday d-hall and even I. S. S. (In School Suspension).

Typically, tardies are built up in first period. This is due to the fact that waking up late, inclement weather and many other factors prevent many students from arriving at school on time. In order to prevent this build up of tardies, a good nights’ rest and becoming aware of weather conditions for each morning are both imperative.

“I think tardies shouldn’t be counted as a tardy until two minutes after the bell because some people really can’t make the distance between classes,” junior Amber Hailey said.

For all other classes, tardies are mainly built up due to the social tendencies students. Six minutes might sound like plenty of time to walk to each class but one can easily lose track of time when talking to friends in the hallways in between classes.

Knowing how far each class is away from the next and using the six minutes wisely is the only solution to prevent oneself from receiving tardies. Also, take advantage of the three-minute warning bell, it’s not just there for our health.

“I’m only tardy maybe twice throughout the entire year,” senior Amanda Flickenger said. “I don’t really stop to talk to friends, instead, I talk as I walk with them to class.”

Overall, the tardy policy can easily be a burden for even the best of students and even though the student handbook may seem like such an unimportant thing to students, reading it’s policies can actually be the difference between doing what you want with your free-time after school and being forced to spend it in detention.