Narcissism: What is it?

Nathan Mahaffey, Staff Writer

Narcissism is the hidden evil element in everyone. Some people are more experienced and are able to overcome it, and some cannot overcome it. Not just narcissism in general, but in families, relationships, communities, and a person’s lifestyle. However, it’s probably more in our personal lives than anything else because now, everyone is always on their phones and our whole world is surrounded by ourselves and that is narcissism in itself.

Narcissism today is defined as excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one’s physical appearance. This meaning as a person who makes their whole life revolve about their own personal gain and living as a so called, “victim” in every situation they are put through.

“There’s a whole environment around us, and a great world and everyone is too focused on themselves and their phones,” says Madison Nazer, a sophomore at Tomball High School. Nazer believes that the society we live in is missing out on the world we live in because everyone is always on their phones and being so self-centered with themselves.

Which this is truly a real problem in our society and around the whole world and if people would just spend more time talking to other people face to face and experiencing the world they live in, the problem with narcissism wouldn’t be as major as it is today. However, it wouldn’t be gone because it is from a person’s childhood and they have adapted to that certain lifestyle and don’t know any other way to act than to act that certain way, which destroys their relationships with people they hold dear.

Narcissism is the ax that chops up the bonds between people because one person in the relationship makes everything about them because, as said before, they are ALWAYS the victim in every situation, and it’s usually to get what they want. Alexa Deer says her little cousin who is 10, manipulates her parents to get what she wants by acting like she is 5.

This is not only just narcissism but also spoiling with no discipline. If her parents are allowing her to have whatever she wants and no one else have the same treatment, then it’s teaching their child to make her life all about her and expect everything in life to be handed to her on a silver platter.

Narcissism is worldwide, but it also infects our social media world. Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat have people posting pictures of this world of themselves from their bathrooms, making their image look somehow different from who they actually are.

There is a selfish gratification of everyone’s self conscious to where it is normal for people to even post about their meals and their cats and saying how amazing they think they are. There is not a lot of gratitude towards multiple people in most posts on social media these days.

Someone can put 50 pictures of JUST themselves ON Facebook and fit them all into two separate albums. A person could posts unlimited pictures of themselves within one day just on Snapchat and Instagram alone.

However, narcissism has a BIG impact on groups of people, especially in families. It slowly and painfully rips the connection of a family apart as it sickens a narcissists’s mind and personal views.

Psychology Today has an article by Karyl McBride about narcissism in families called, “The Narcissistic Family Tree” says, “The typical adult from a narcissistic family is filled with unacknowledged anger, feels like a hollow person, feels inadequate and defective, suffers from periodic anxiety and depression, and has no clue how he or she got that way.”

Now this means that once a narcissist has fully grown into an adult, they have lived that way their whole lives and have possibly no way of changing because it is all they know. They don’t know how else to live their lives other than revolving it around themselves.

This graph show the rates of narcissism in college studenst from 1982 to 2006. It had raised 1.9% in the NPI Scores within 24 years.

This chart shows narcissism in Presidential candidates for the 2016 Presidential election.

Obviously, there is very high narcissism in America because we are so involved with our ownselves that we can’t focus on the people and the world around us. This makes narcissism an even bigger problem in the world because we are the safest country in the world and if we have this kind of image, it won’t look good to other countries in the future.