Catching up with fine arts programs

Ally Osman, Senior Writer

The Fine Arts department has been hard at work practicing for performances, contests, plays and auditions. Whether it be Band, Charms, Choir, Art, or Theater, each organization has a reason to be proud this year.

From performing under the Friday Night Lights to competing at contests, the Cougar Pride Band has been perfecting their show all season. This marching season, Band attended various contests and advanced to Area with their show Celestial Journey. Band also competed in the UIL Region competition where they were awarded straight 1s across the board, the highest rank given at a UIL contest.

“Our performance at the Area competition was the first time this year I had really heard our band play loud and proud,” said Drum Major Kevin Contreras. “I was proud to see that everyone was contributing to the sound and it put a smile on my face.”

The Cougar Pride Band will have their winter concert on Dec. 9 to showcase their work.

The Cougar Charms continue to do halftime performances as the football team advances into the playoffs, and are transitioning into contest season. While the Charms won’t attend their first contest until February, their performances require many months of preparation. The Charms will spend every morning before school until their first contest perfecting each of their four routines to be scored at the three competitions they will attend.

“The first time we performed our field pom routine I was super proud of us for pulling out a great performance,” said Charms Major Hayleigh Lear. “It really showed how hard each Charm works and made me excited to see how we will succeed during contest season.”

The Cougar Charms will also perform at various THS basketball games in January leading up to their competitions.

Choir has competed in various higher level auditions throughout the school year. Choir members attended the District auditions in September where twenty-two finalists advanced to Region Choir, the highest number of participants at THS in years past. Fourteen of these finalists advanced to Pre-Area after Region auditions with six being placed into the Treble Choir and eight placing into the Mixed Choir.

“Watching my organization excel in their choral performances was definitely a proud moment for me as their leader,” said Choir President Jess Cutrufello. “I’m definitely looking forward to seeing our hard work pay off at our Region concert.”

The Region finalists will compete at the Pre-Area auditions on Nov. 30 at The Woodlands High School.

The Art department has been spending the year creating various works of art for their portfolios. Art will start showcasing their work in the spring including pastel paintings, charcoal drawings and watercolor paintings.

“Taking an art class gives people the opportunity to express themselves in different creative ways,” said AP Art student Noelle Rigmaiden. “We’re always learning new techniques and ways to better our drawing, painting etcetera.”

In addition to taking art classes, art students have formed the THS Art Club. Art Club is open to all students and meets every other Wednesday in room 1321 during C and D lunches.

It is also time for them to start preparing works for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo art contests.

Last month, The Tomball STAGE theater program wrapped up their first performance of the year, “Puffs”, and has begun preparing for their upcoming shows. The Annual THS Coffee House performance has been postponed until further notice, and details about rescheduling will be released by Tomball STAGE at a later date. The Theater department is also in preparation for this year’s musical, “Seussical, The Musical”, which will be their biggest show of the school year.

“Our officers have worked super hard this year to make everyone feel included and give people opportunities to improve,” said Theater Historian Avery Bishop. “We want to leave a legacy about what the Theater department needs to be for next year.”

Tickets for “Seussical, The Musical” will go on sale Jan. 1 on The Tomball STAGE website.