Get more out of school by joining a club

Yearbook Photo

The 2020 Academic UIL team.

Staff Reports

There are tons of activities on campus you can join, and being active in a club makes school so much more enjoyable. Students who are active are much more likely to graduate and get better attendance.

Here are some of the options on campus.

Stand-alone clubs

Student Counncil

This is a very large and active organization on campus, with many opportunities to gain leadership experience or contribute to the community. From running flags at football games, to organizing homecoming festivities, to the many community programs they do, the Student Council is a great place to get involved. Anyone is welcome to join. Stop in Room 1205 to pick up an application.

Best Buddies

This wonderful program pairs some of our special needs students with other students from the school to help encourage acceptance and inclusion of all students in the school. It’s a highly rewarding experience, and anyone can join. Watch for information on the first meeting soon.

Book Club

With sponsors such as Mr. DeCoste, Mr. Nimon and librarian Mr. Jesse, you’ll find this club fun and relaxed. Discussions of books combined with fellowship make this a great club for any readers on campus. See any of the sponsors or come to any meeting.

Bowling

Yes, bowling, with the funny shoes and everything. They practice at Tomball Bowl and compete against other schools in the area. A fun after-school club, with possibly the best club shirts on campus. Watch for announcements on their first meeting.

National Honor Society

This club is by invitation only and invites the top academic students in the school. Want to join? Then keep your GPA high, and maybe next spring you’ll get your invitation!

People For the Planet

Want to make a difference in your community? Then go see Mr. DeCoste in Room 1204 to join this group. From helping food banks to raising awareness about recycling, this is an active and engaging club for those wanting to make a difference.

Robotics Club

Build robots for competition! How cool is that? This isn’t a theory class, it’s hands-on and you take your robot to competitions. Great for anyone who plans to go into the sciences.

Other clubs that don’t require participation in a class: Gaming Club, Dungeons and Dragons, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, PRIDE club, Ping Pong, Senior Guys, Senior Girls.

Want to start a new club? Get the form from the principal’s secretary, Mary Rendon.

Clubs that are part of a class

Student Media

This program includes the newspaper, the Cougar Claw, in both print and online, the Cougar yearbook and the KTHS broadcasting program. The classes are taught by Mr. Fordyce in Room 1201. Whatever your interest – writing, photography, page design, video work, podcasting – this program is for you. Stop in 1201 for info.

FFA

Whether you want to raise an animal for auction or learn valuable skills such as welding, FFA is a great hands-on program for students, and one of the larger groups on campus. Watch for information on animal selection the first few days of school.

Charms

The Cougar Charms Drill Team, which performs at football games and pep rallies, as well as competitions in the spring, requires an audition and a dedication to practice. Watch for information or stop by the Charms room in Room 1256 to see Mrs. Huebner.

Cheerleaders

The Cougar Cheerleaders, under the direction of Mr. Weibel, also requires a tryout to join. In addition to cheering for the Cougars at different sporting events, they do competitive cheer in the spring. A great place to make friends, stay in shape and have fun. See Mr. Weibel if you’re interested in joining this award-winning team.

NJROTC

This course teaches military discipline and training, but is not just for those who plan to enter the military. All are welcome and the program provides a real sense of friendship with your fellow cadets. There are also drill competitions that you can compete in, and the cadets perform during pep rallies and football games.

Theater

All the world’s a stage in this program, which puts on multiple shows a year. Whether you’re an aspiring actor, want to make costumes or build sets, there is something for everyone in theater.

Other clubs that require you to be in a related class: HOSA, BPA, NJROTC.

Academic UIL Competitions

The following are academic competitions students can compete in, either as part of a team or individually. Each event has a sponsor, see the sponsor for information on how to join.

Business
Accounting
Computer Application
Drama
Theatre/One Act Play
Journalism
Copy Editing
Editorial Writing
Feature Writing
Headline Writing
News Writing
Language Arts
Literary Criticism
Ready Writing
Spelling
Mathematics
Calculator Applications
Computer Science
Mathematics
Number Sense
Science
Science
Speech
Extemporaneous-Informative &
Persuasive
Cross Examination Debate
Lincoln-Douglas Debate
Prose & Poetry Interpretation
Social Studies
Current Issues & Events
Social Studies

In addition, the Academic UIL program last year added a student oversight club, with members drafting rules on letterjackets and officer elections, helping with recruiting, working with sponsors and choosing which invitational meets they wish to attend. Academic UIL also looks great on your college applications!

Watch for more club news on the KTHS-TV News show during your advisory period.