Students turn hobbies into paying jobs

Staff Photo

For some students, gaming can be profitable.

Lucas Botello, Senior Writer

There is more than one way to make money than to get a regular or part-time job. A few students at Tomball have turned their love for video games into a way for them to make some extra money.

Sophomore Giovanni D’Ambrosio and Senior Joseph Ross are a few of many high school students that have partnered with gaming companies to help support the company as well as themselves.

“You don’t really try out but you post your gameplay and where you would place within a tournament. Depending on how you do they’ll reach out to you and offer for you represent the company,” D’Ambrosio said. “I was with a small team called Forge.”

How much a person can make from eSports depends on how well the player places in tournaments.

“The most I have ever won was $800 from a World Cup Tryouts,” D’Ambrosio said. The total D’Ambrosio has made from E-Sports was $6,000.

Ross has also found a way to make money from gaming. Unlike D’Ambrosio, Ross joined a small local eSports team called Elysian, which recently secured a sponsorship from Rogue Energy.

“When you start getting into these hobbies with the highly competitive players, you start to love the game and love the challenge,” he said.

Ross can make about $100-$800 per tournament; so far in 2021, Ross has made around $350 from playing video games.

Although it may not be a traditional job, students still find ways to make money with the skills and passion that they have.