Boucher sails into teaching

The Cougar Yearbook

Greg Boucher leads the Navy JROTC program at Tomball High School.

Emily-Grace Schmidt, Staff Writer

In 1983, a young sailor soon fell into a journey where he would find his passion for teaching and  come to our Tomball community to help our students. Lieutenant Commander Greg Boucher brings real life knowledge to our students and the people around him.

For his first 11 years he worked as a hospital corpsman. He treated both marines and sailors on a naval hospital. 

“Also, I taught aerospace medicine which is where I began to enjoy teaching,” LCDR Boucher said.

His classes in aerospace medicine covered the health safety of pilots and flight crews and how to do an in-flight physical.

He was soon commissioned as a Surface Warfare Officer. This job commonly focuses on the operation of Navy Ships. He found his favorite part of that experience was leading sailors.

At the end of his naval career he knew he wanted to continue teaching. He had learned valuable life lessons like self discipline, attention to detail, and treating others with value. He moved to Tomball to start his next chapter as Tomball High School’s senior naval instructor.

“I love small towns and the feeling of family the community offers.” said LCDR Boucher.

His impact on the students roots deep to things he does everyday that have been instilled in him by his naval experience. His wife, Latonya Boucher, who also works at the school as the attendance clerk, agrees and says his organizations, discipline and leadership skills are major things he’s picked up and uses every day.  

Students in the NJROTC program, like P.J. Maritnez, feel a strong impact in not only their school lives, but the schools wellbeing and their personal lives as well. 

“[Boucher] limits the amount of kids that make dumb descions,” Martinez said. “He has pushed me to become a better person by reminding me what my priorities were.”

Commander’s journey is not nearly over yet as he continues to strive for a better way to teach. He is getting his masters in education at Western Governors University. 

“Overall, the school would not be the same without Commander,” Martinez said.