‘Tatted Up.

photo by: Katie Harland
Though they may hinder her future, Senior Candice Moreno boldly displays her 3/4 size gauges.
A cross on my left shoulder blade. A flower on my foot. A cherry tree spreading across my side. A pokeball on my hip. A helium atom on my wrist. A treble clef behind my ear.
Ask a teen what tattoo they would like to get, and the answers are varied. But few say, “none.”

Though our grandparent’s generation viewed tattoos as the ultimate trash, it seems the influence of trends and fashion has shed a softer light on the subject of permanent body art. Both tattoos and piercings are cropping up on the flesh of not only the ‘lowest of the low,’ but the ‘coolest of the cool.’

In the eyes of our generation, a unique and meaningful design is heralded as praise and envy worthy. The traditional ‘tramp stamp’ and ‘generic’ tattoos such as butterflies and various stages of undressed women are still disdained, but most young people are accepting and forward when it comes to body art.

Gauges, or the practice of stretching ones flesh to accommodate ‘gauged’ jewelry, has quickly become acceptable in the eyes of today’s fashion-forward youths. While not as readily accepted as tattoos, the piercings are not just for musicians or ‘alternative’ styles.

The workplace, full of a mixture of people from every walk of life, is one place that has unfortunately remained stiff in its views on body art. However, with the increased admiration of tattoos and piercing, some choice employers are becoming increasingly lenient.

“It’s appropriate and accepted for some places and not for others,” said junior Eric Schaffer. “If I worked at a day care center, I wouldn’t want big gauges and tats of dragons on someone I hire. It just wouldn’t fit.”

The thought that that style would ‘not fit’ in a professional setting is a common belief, held by even those that bear their choices with pride.

Amanda Patton, an aspiring musician, shared that her gauges haven’t yet hindered her, though her career choice makes those types of choices easy to make. “[Gauges] can get to a point where it’s disgusting,” she said. “Mine are small enough to where people didn’t know I had gauges until I started wearing tunnels. I think slowly, things like that will become more accepted. Slowly.”

The concept of professionalism has never been one of rigid uniformity. There was a time when it was unacceptable for women to come to work sans panty-hose, and a time when Casual Friday was immensely foreign. What the workforce views as ‘professional’ will adapt as time progresses forward. While our generation may accept a more laid back style as professionalism, what we tend to forget is that the workforce is made up of every generation.

“I know that trends are trends,” said Kamie West, Co-Op sponsor and teacher. “But as youth today, you are limiting your options in the future. You can always work at a music store, tattoos or not. But not in an accounting firm, or major corporation.

“I’ve seen students with more alternative dress miss out on opportunities and offers. Because they are very bright men and women, I hate to see them lose that.”

The employers, the CEOs, the managers; they are older individuals that have worked hard their entire lives to achieve success and power. They make the rules, and they drive that concept of professionalism. One day, our generation will hold that power. That day, the rules will change. And that day, the younger generations will disagree with our concept of professionalism. The never ending cycle will perhaps never be broken, as generation gaps will prevent the workforce in its entirety to see eye to eye. Until the creation of that utopia, all we can do is wait for our time to call the shots.