Filed under News, Top Stories

Cougar Claw Exclusive: Clinton claims nomination, Sanders supporters feel the ‘Bern’

June 26, 2016

Today history was made. Hillary Clinton, after a state-by-state Roll call requested by the Sanders campaign, earned the necessary number of delegates in order for her to clinch the democratic nomination. This makes her the first woman ever nominated for president with the support of a major political party.

After the roll call, Sanders renounced his delegates to Clinton and withdrew officially from the presidential race. With this announcement came a variety of reactions from the crowd–some thrilled for Clinton, others in denial of Sanders’s loss.

Following the recognition of Clinton as the democratic nominee, Sanders supporters held a “sit-in,” where they raided a media workspace and began protesting. Police officers were called to the scene, and escorted the protesters from the workspace.

This, however, was not the first time today that Bernie Sanders supporters made a scene. This morning at the Texas Delegation breakfast, a group of delegates took the stage to announce their continued support of the Vermont Senator, and they asked their fellow delagates for consideration.

Following this request, Texas Delegate Russell Lytle took the stage. At first the delegation was patient, until Lytle denounced Hillary Clinton as the democratic nominee.

“We are currently condemning our current presumptive nominee,” Lytle said. “The Bernie delegation has felt chastised. The DNC has been colluding with the media and the emails show that. And so we want to have an open discussion with out fellow Democratic Party members.”

Immediately after Lytle’s remarks, the Texas delegation erupted in booing, angry shouting, and chanting, “Hillary! Hillary! Hillary!”

In the wake of Lytle’s speech, another member of the Sanders delegation took the sage to inform the audience that other Sanders supporters were unaware of Lytle’s plan to condemn Clinton.

It seems as though Lytle stood alone this morning, as other Bernie supporters are still striving for unity. This afternoon he renounced his DNC credentials.

“The vast majority, even the young people who got on stage on behalf of Bernie said they want to be a part of unity,” Wendy Davis, former Gubernatorial Candidate, said.

Now that Hillary Clinton is the official presidential nominee, the Democratic Party hopes to finally unite.

Editor Sam Abrahams reporting live from the Democratic National Convention