Letters to the editor February 2013

Dear Editor,

I want the school to encourage students to participate in any activities or fine arts that they want.

Throughout my high school life I have participated in band, volleyball, track, and art. These experiences have allowed me to have friends and memories from a variety of sources. However, I was constantly told by counselors and coaches that I couldn’t participate in all these things. They threatened me with the idea of not graduating.

However, I proved them wrong. I have just enough credits to graduate and I get to do all the things I love. I owe these experiences to people like Mr. Downey and Coach McQuary who were flexible enough to share the time I had with other communities.

My brother didn’t get the same experience. He always dreamed of being in cross country but because he was in marching band, the coach wouldn’t even give him the chance.

I want coaches, teachers, and all staff to encourage those who want to participate in numerous fine arts and sports.

Jenny Martin

Dear Jenny,

I think that’s awesome. You only go to high school once, and while you’re there you should experience everything it has to offer. Not only that, but it allows you to completely figure out what you love and want to pursue after high school, which, after all, is the point of extracurricular activities.

It’s especially important to give credit to your teaches and coaches who are willing to work with you. A teacher should be someone who’s main goal is to help you through high school and encourage you to be all that you can.

The only downsides be finding time to balance all of these things with academics, family, work and friends. That can be difficult, but with a good support system those things are more than possible. I suggest your brother be persistent, and maybe show him this letter. I wish you and your brother the best!

Rain Shanks

Co-editor and cheif

Dear Editor,

I like C lunch. I like the bell schedule. I also like chicken noodle soup, but I’m sure you already knew that. Although I like all these things, there is one thing I have a problem with, and that, my friend, is the elevator. I hate elevators… Please help me.

Sincerely,

Mykheal Taylor

Dear Mykheal,

I’m sorry to hear about your phobia of elevators. However, they are an essential part of every two-story building. What would happen if you ever broke your leg? Hopefully this will never happen, but if it does, you must either overcome your fear, or crawl up the main stairs every day just to get to English class.

I think students would be horrified to see a boy wiggling up the stairs for ten minutes, trying to reach the top.

On a happier note, I am glad that you like C lunch and the bell schedule. But I am even gladder, exuberant even, that you also like chicken noodle soup.

I was actually not aware of this, but I will be sure to take note of it, because having a refined taste for Campbell soups is a star quality that not many people possess.

Sincerely,

Leanne Haas, Co-editor-in-chief

Dear Editor,

I just wanted to let you know that the morning video announcements are way more interesting than over the speaker. I wish you did that every morning. It would make our day way better.

Sincerely,

Victoria Clayton

Dear Victoria,

I agree, the video announcements always give students something to look forward to on Tuesday and Friday mornings, and I think that students tend to pay attention to them more when in video form.

I think it would be great if all of our announcements were done this way, but the problem with this is that the video journalism staff is just not large and experienced enough to be able to produce videos every day.

The upside to having only two videos per week, though, is that it gives the students more time to come up with entertaining ideas, and to put together the Dance Party Friday videos that everybody loves.

Sincerely,

Leanne Haas, Co-editor-in-chief