Smaller staff, budget cuts have class sizes swelling

It is the first day of school and the class begins to feel a bit uneasy as the thirty fifth person walks in with more on the way. Some classes have grown to the thirties and even forties and in many cases students have been left standing without even a desk to sit at. And the problem doesn’t appear to be getting better anytime soon.

This is annoying for students but extremely frustrating for teachers. The simple fact of the matter is most of these classes weren’t designed to act like college classes. If some of the classes were in a room like the LGI then the large classes might work in this setting.

The school has tried to fix this problem and granted, things are better than they were the first day. Some have the classes have evened out a bit and most if not all have the correct number of desks now. Yet there are still classes with forty-plus students.

There are several reasons for the large number of students in each class. Many of the teachers moved toTomballMemorialHigh Schooland several retired. But unfortunately in the current economic climate it does not appear to be an option for the school district to hire a sufficient number of teachers to bring the class down to a reasonable size.

There is less incentive to hire new teachers because of the smaller freshman class that does not include Willow Wood Jr. High students. By the time this class becomes seniors there won’t be a need for as many teachers since the class of 15 will be much smaller. The solution for this would be moving any unnecessary teachers to the Memorial since by then their school will have all four grades.

However since they have not done this it looks as if the school will have to simply deal with the weird class sizes. Students and teachers seem powerless in this problem. It is up to the school district or state ofTexas, to hire more teachers or possibly give us more funding.