Football steals the spotlight

In every high school there is that sport that is most preferred and has all the attention.
There’s no exception for Tomball High School, and in the land of the Cougars, football is that sport.

Come to think of it, isn’t every high school’s most preferred sport football?

When it comes to sport talk, it’s all football this, football that, GO FOOTBALL! Does Tomball high school have any other sports other than football? Oh wait, yes.

Besides football there is soccer, tennis, basketball, swimming, water polo, cross country, golf,
volleyball, baseball, rugby and softball. Some people didn’t even some of these teams existed at our campus. Why didn’t they know? Oh right, because it’s all about football.

The school is so wrapped up in what football is doing, the games they have won, the football coaches and players. We didn’t bother to give much of recognition to those other athletes that have accomplished something good as well. In the past football wasn’t always doing so well, and yet even though other sports teams have excelled, they still didn’t get much of an acknowledgment.

The largest turnout for of Charms and cheerleaders is always to cheer on the football team. Likewise for the band. No big surprise there. Football games are always packed with people, while at the other sports’ competitions you can practically hear crickets chirping. People might expect that the other athletes are haters, but they are not. Still, it would be only fair that they get some attention too. After all, they do practice and compete, just as the football players.

It’s understandable that football is a very popular sport, but not everyone likes football. Apparently, for some people football is everything to them. There are several teachers that discuss football all the time. There are posters all over the hallway supporting football. Football always seems to be the top topic of the year. The spotlight seems to be stuck on football. Every now and then a lucky sport gets mention through the announcements … briefly.

“Football gets all the attention. Even when they lose, they’re mentioned, while soccer hardly gets mention through out the year,” junior soccer player Robert Mambru said.

It’s only fair that the other sports at our school get mentioned  as well, and it’s important that students turn out to show their support for all teams. They need to be cheered on, too. It’s simply not fair that these athletes take the time to practice and compete,  but don’t seem to be recognized by the school. They practice just as hard as football, or any other sport.

Football, don’t you worry, nobody is going to steal your spotlight. But you’re going to have to share it.