Obama reaches youth via Reddit

President Obama posted an “Ask Me Anything” on Reddit.com on Thursday, providing proof of his authenticity with the link to his post on his official twitter account, and a picture of himself sitting on his laptop in a private room as further proof that it was actually him.

It’s no surprise that the president would need to take such measures just to prove he’s the real deal. Not every day does a political figure, let alone the President of the United States, reach out to the masses through such unconventional means as a website that is best known for its vast array of humorous YouTube videos and entertainment news, whose audience is made up almost entirely of young adults.

“This is an example of how technology and the internet can empower the sorts of conversations that strengthen our democracy over the long run,” Obama said on his original post in the forum.

The president ended with a humorous comment, quoting a popular internet meme based upon a cartoon-ized picture of himself: “By the way, if you want to know what I think about this whole reddit experience – NOT BAD!”

His incentive may be an attempt to reach out to young voters, as elections are coming up in November.  In one question, the president addresses one recent graduate’s concerns about unemployment and student loan debt. In another, he reassures a commenter of his view on internet freedom.

The whole Q & A with Barack Obama can be found here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1c9z/i_am_barack_obama_president_of_the_united_states/