Local family raises awareness for Leukemia

Seven months ago, Traci and James Underwood (a special operations soldier) brought Holden Thomas into the world.  Holden proved to be a happy, jubilant, mellow baby … until one day, his father and grandmother found bruises on his legs and an ear infection.  Traci was in Italy for a wedding when they got the news.  Holden was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia and checked into Texas Children’s Hospital.

Not losing hope, family and friends created the ‘Holden’s Hope’ Facebook page to find support and donations for the Underwood family.  Holden needs daily blood transfusions, spinal taps, chemo therapy, and has a catheter.  The Facebook page gives day to day updates on Holden’s progress.

“Holden was SUCH a trooper during his chemo shot.  He cried for literally 2 seconds, took his juice bottle, and went to sleep,” a Facebook update reads.

The group was founded on Aug. 16 and now has 932 members and gives not only the Underwood family hope, but also parents of other cancer patients.  Holden was also recently visited by the Houston Dynamos, who visit the cancer floor often.  The Underwood family were blessed with the good news on Aug. 30 that Holden is now cancer-free in the spinal and brain fluid.

If you are interested you can donate blood directly to Holden through the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center.  Money can be donated through Gulf coast Education Federal Credit Union, call 281-487-9333 or toll-free at 1-800-683-3863 (transfer code: 260116, routing code: 313087286).  Checks made out to Holden’s Hope can be mailed to 4235 Rainfall Dr., Pasadena, TX 77505.  Upcoming benefit dates will be posted soon on the Holden’s Hope Facebook page.