Cougars’ outstanding performace during break

Charlie Bose, Sports Editor

Students that were part of the Tomball Baseball, Softball, Track, and Water-polo teams not only had practice over the break but games as well.

Baseball:

The Thursday before spring break, the Coogs participated in a home tournament at the premiere baseball fields due to rain. The first game was against Stratford and the final score was 1-0, with Tomball taking the win. Senior Casey Ryan (#2) made the run that game.

On the field, junior Lucas Sefcik (#1) PO’d six players and junior Zach Hinojosa (#6) PO’d 9. On the pitching mound, Christian McCoy (#16) struck out two batters and Eric Oakes (#4) struck out 4.

Later that day the Coogs played Tompkins also defeating them with a final score of 6-4. Nolan Maciejeski (#11), Jacob Jenkins (#20), and Scott Herman (#26) each made a run and Ryan made two. Eli Kerim (#13) also made a run and was the only Coog to steal a base that game.

Ryan, along with Brandon Marshall (#34), made a RBI of two.

In the field, Hinojosa, along with Mark Bonnain (#9), PO’d, and Ryan PO’d 2. Senior Noah Myre (#3) stuck out 5 batters and junior John Breaux (#7) struck out 2.

Friday’s game ended in a loss against George Ranch with a final score of 5-2. The two Coogs who made the runs were Brandon Walters (#21) and Herman. Herman also made 3 2nd base hits. Both were able to make their runs due to Oakes’s and Skivington’s RBIs.

Several players PO’d while on defense, but Kerim PO’d the most with a count of 4. Sefcik and Trevor Thrash (#10) each struck out two batters.

Last Tuesday the Coogs defeated Willis in their first district game with a final score of 8-1.

Oakes made the only home run that game. Maciejeski, Kerim, senior Conrad Perry (#17), Ryan, Jenkins, Walters, and Marshall all made runs during the game.

Herrmann and Oakes each got RBIs of 3, and Marshall and Skivington got a RBI of 1.

Myre started out the game pitching, striking out one Willis baseball player. Breaux later stepped onto the pitcher’s mound, striking out 7 players. Hinojosa put out 9 players, the most of the game.

The final scores were:

THS v. Stratford: 1-0 (w)

THS v. Tompkins: 6-4 (w)

THS v. George Ranch: 5-2 (l)

Softball:

The Lady Coogs froze to Brenham last Tuesday with both teams losing. Varsity’s final score was 3-5 and JV’s final score was 15-16.

Track:

The Friday before spring break, the Cougar Track team competed in a district meet. The team results are as follows:

Boys-

800m run: 9th

3200m run: 8th

Shot-put: 2nd

Discus: 9th

Pole-vault: 2nd

110m Hurdles: 1st

Long Jump: 1st

Triple Jump: 1st

Girls-

100m run: 18th

800m run: 2nd

Shot-put: 1st

Discus: 3rd

Pole-vault: 1st

100m Hurdles: 8th

4×100 relay: 8th

4×200: 9th

Long Jump: 2nd

High Jump: 5th

Triple Jump: 9th

In the 100m run, junior McKena Law made 18th place.

For the 800m run, Caroline Flanagan earned 2nd place with a time of 2 mins and 30.38 seconds and with a time only .05 seconds behind Flanagan, Sydney Sizemore placed 3rd.

In the boys division, senior Will Easton earned 9th place with a time of 2 mins and 6.68 seconds and junior Jacob Jaffray made 11th place with a time 1.17 seconds behind Easton.

For the 3200m run, junior Ramon Barahona made 8th place, completing the run in 10 mins and 58.84 seconds.

Miles Marhofer and Riley Cross both did amazing in shot-put and discus. Marhofer made 2nd in shot-put with a distance of 50′ 5” and 9th place in discus with a distance of 135′ 3”. Cross made 1st in shot-put with a distance of 40′ and made 3rd in discus with a distance of 106′.

For pole-vault, Rachel Maciejeski made 1st place at 11′ 1” and Lizzy Sexton made 2nd at 8′ 6”.

Senior Tyler Stafford made 2nd place in pole-vault at a height of 13′ 6”.

For the 100m hurdles, senior Toni Trail made 8th place at a time of 17.38 seconds and Katelun Mullenix, also a senior, made 13th place with a time of 18.63 seconds.

Brandon Peterson made 1st in the 110m hurdles with a time of 14.51 seconds.

In the 4 x 100 relay, a team comprised of McKena Law, senior Faith Allen, Brianna Turk, and Morgan Law earned 8th place. In the 4 x 200 relay, a team consisting of Aaliyah McWright, Turk, Morgan Law, and Allen made 9th place.

For long jump, Darius Taylor made 1st with a distance of 22′ 3”,  Allen made 2nd place with a distance of 17′ 1.5”, Garrett Dovey made 10th place with a distance of 19′ 11”, Morgan Law made 17th place with a distance of 15′ 1”, and Ava Johnson made 25th place with a distance of 13′ 8”.

In triple jump, Taylor made 1st with a distance of 44′ 10”, Kendell Gordon placed 6th place with a distance of 42′ 8.5”, Mullenix made 9th place with a distance of 31′ 2”, and Christina Thomas made 10th place with a distance of 31′ 2”.

Thomas also made 5th place in High Jump at 4′ 10”.

Waterpolo: 

Both Waterpolo teams won two of their three scrimmages the Thursday and Friday prior to spring break. On Monday, Boys Waterpolo lost to Conroe with a final score of 9-10. Girls, on the other hand, won against Conroe with a final score of 4-3.

Boys Waterpolo-

THS v. Conroe 9-10 (l)

Girls Waterpolo-

THS v. Conroe 4-3 (w)