Swim team on road to Regionals

THS sent six individuals and six relay teams to regionals this year.

Sarah Bieker

Daniela Roscero, Features Editor

The THS swim team qualified in six individual events and six relay teams as they competed in the annual UIL district meet last Saturday.

THS is in one of the most competitive districts in the state, as many of the swimmers who eventually qualify and win the state championship attend schools in the area.

According to Head Coach Brian Vestal, most swimmers dropped time in at least one of their events, making this year’s season one of the most successful.

After months of hard work and early morning practices, most of the team earned their place in the next round: the regional competition, which will take place this weekend at Magnolia High School.

At this weekend’s regional competition, swimmers will have the opportunity to qualify for the state competition, and Coach Vestal expects some of the swimmers to be in the finals. In the meantime, take a look at the district meet’s victories:

Katie Johnson, Bryn Fleischhauer, Angela Wharton, and Elizabeth Sexton, qualified for the 200 yard medley relay, in which each swimmer contributes with 50 yards of a specific style, with the season best time of two minutes and twelve seconds.

Zachary Muckler, who exceeded expectations after being called up to the varsity team, according to Vestal, along with Alex Atrops, David Roscero, and senior Bernard Irava, also qualified to the 200 yard medley relay with a season best time of one minute, 59 seconds.

During the girls’ 200 yard freestyle relay, in which Megan Bowers, Missy Sells, Shayna Wise and Elizabeth Sexton participated in as a team, the girls placed third place with their season best time of one minute and 48 seconds.

The same relay team earned fourth place in the 400 yard freestyle relay event with a record time of three minutes and 59 seconds. This was the first time the team swam under four minutes since THS split with Tomball Memorial. The team will be participating in both regional events.

In the boys’ 200 freestyle relay, Carson Connard, Bernard Irava, David Roscero and Alex Atrops placed in fourth place with one minute 42 seconds, their best time in the season.

David Roscero classified for the regional 200 IM competition, which consists of swimming 50 yards in each of the four swimming styles–butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle–with a time of 1:29. He also swam a personal best time of two minutes and 32 seconds in the individual medley competition.

Connard, Roscero and Atrops, along with Dillon Scott, earned fourth place in the 400 freestyle relay competition with three minutes and 52 seconds, qualifying for regionals.

Megan Bowers classified in the 200 yard freestyle event with a time of 2 minutes and 4 seconds, the season’s best time that launched her into 6th place. She also qualified for the regional 100 yard freestyle competition with her 5th place’s 57 seconds, another one of the season’s record times.

Carson Connard swam personal bests in the 100 breaststroke and 500 freestyle competitions, placing him in the top five regional qualifiers in both events.

Missy Sells qualified to the regional 100 backstroke event with her season best, and personal best time of one minute and 44 seconds. She also qualified in the 500 freestyle competition, in which she placed fifth.

In the 50 yard freestyle competition, Kate Johnson, Angela Wharton, Shayna Wise, Zachary Muckler, Bernard Irava, and Alex Atrops all swam personal best times under 30 seconds.

The 100 yards freestyle competition also saw notable Tomball swims from Lizzie Sexton and Bryn Fleischhauer, who swam personal bests. Fleischhauer finished seventh in the 100 breaststroke competition as well.

Kate Johnson and Zachary Muckler also  dropped their time in the 100 yard Backstroke event.